Burning Permits

All burning barrels must have a permit. In addition, all trash pile or grass burns must also have permits.

Permits may be obtained by calling 1-888-947-2876 or locations listed below.

You must call 1-888-947-2876 to learn if burning is allowed on the day that you want to burn. When asked what county you are inquiring about, our county number is 50.

REMINDER: Open Burning is not a right, it is a privilege and it can be taken away. You are responsible for damages and costs if your fire gets away.

Always call Portage County Sheriff’s Department – non-emergency 715-346-1400) to let them know that you are burning trash pile or grass.

Permits may be obtained from:

Dock of Dubay 3-6 p.m. Wed. – Friday: 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sat. & Sun.
(715) 457-2700
Mead Wildlife Center: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Mon. – Thurs.
(715) 457-6771
Halder Bridge Bar: 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Sun.-Thurs. 10 a.m.-2:00 a.m. Fri. & Sat.
(715) 389-2818